Here at RW we have expertise in representing Secured Creditors & Other Lenders, Landlords and Tenants. We accept formal appointments under the Corporations Law (such as Receiver or Administrator) but much of our work is behind the scenes in advising on special situations and monitoring outcomes.
We will often team with other real estate professionals such as Agents, Valuers, Property Lawyers and Developers. We have a special expertise in dealing with mid-size city and regional shopping centres – we have achieved excellent outcomes in teaming with Satori Property Services (see below) in re-tenanting under performing second tier shopping centres and improving performance with a view to a sale or debt restructuring.
We have unmatched experience acting in the following roles:
- Receiver & Manager
- Voluntary Administrator
- Mortgagee In Possession
- Monitoring Accountants
- Investigating Accountant
- Tenant Representative in Lease negotiations with Landlords
We have experience across a wide variety of industry sectors including:
- Large Hotels and Resorts
- Car Parks
- Suburban Shopping centres
- Residential Real Estate
- Rural properties
- Commercial Real Estate
- Incomplete Property Developments
John Gibbons – Lead Partner
Fellow of Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand, Registered Liquidator, Voluntary Administrator, Member Association Independent Insolvency Practitioners
John has more than 30 years specialist experience in corporate recovery, restructuring and reorganisation. He was a Partner of one of the Big4 Accounting firms, Ernst & Young in the Transaction Advisory Services Division for 24 years and Leader of the firm’s National Corporate Restructuring practice.
Cliff Sanderson – Partner
Registered Liquidator, Voluntary Administrator, Chartered Accountant, Board Member of Association Independent Insolvency Practitioners, Member of Turnaround Management Association, Member Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association
Cliff is a corporate restructuring specialist with over 30 years of experience in Australia and internationally. He is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Restructuring Works. In the last 10 years he has been appointed liquidator of over 700 companies. He was a Partner of Ernst & Young for 10 years.
John’s property experience includes:
- Liquidator of Ray Fitzpatrick Pty Limited with two complex properties with a combined value in excess of $160 million, achieving a sale price on one of the properties that was double the original valuation.
- Receiver and manager to a property development at Mona Vale consisting of 12 town houses resulting in the bank being paid out in full.
- Receiver of Budbox Pty Limited owning a major tenanted industrial property in Villawood, NSW with a value of $10m.
- Agent for the Mortgagee in Possession of a boutique inner city hotel which he traded for an extended period to improve the facility until it was successfully sold
- Acted for the mortgagee in possession of a suburban motel which continued trading to boost occupancy levels prior to its realisation
- Responsible for the control, management and finalisation of the sale of a major Sydney hotel located in the Haymarket area to overseas interests
- Receiver and Manager of several marina operations across the Greater Sydney Area, which involved managing all aspects of their operations, marketing and effecting the sale of each of the facilities
- Advising a mortgagee on strategy to optimise recovery of its secured debt owing in relation to a Sydney property development
Cliff’s property experience includes:
- Monitoring Accountant and Restructuring Advisor for an 18 Level office Building
- Investigating Accountant for three different Hotel and Resort Groups (Australia and Asia)
- Three separate appointments as Restructuring Advisor to a Syndicate of Banks (Asia)
- Project Director for the Receivership of a large Sydney Hotel
- Joint Appointee as Monitoring Accountant for the Sydney Entertainment Centre car park including its management and sale;
- Investigating Accountant for the Merlin Group of companies (British based property group) in Australia being a portfolio of 5 commercial properties valued in excess of $100 million;
- Project Director for the Receivership of a mid-size suburban shopping Centre in southern Sydney;
- Project Director for the receivership and sale of 2 farms in New South Wales.
In association with Satori Retail Property Services
Jonathan has over 35 years’ experience in the shopping centre industry covering development, management, master planning, design, and leasing. Jonathan holds a BSc in Real Estate, a Real Estate licence in NSW and subsequently qualified as a Chartered Surveyor.
Between April 2015 and April 2020 Jonathan worked for Mirvac Retail Property in the role of Senior Retail Leasing Executive – Development & Static.
Between 2011 and 2015 Jonathan was responsible for the ongoing development of the internalised leasing function (Qld) for the business Vinta Group.
Prior to Vinta Group between 1999 and 2011 Jonathan had established his own retail property development and leasing consultancy business. For 12 years he operated a successful “end to end” retail master planning, development and leasing advisory business with a list of major clients, including amongst others: ISPT, Pivot Group, JK Developments, Ipoh, Schroders, AMP, Multiplex Developments, Multiplex Capital, City Freeholds, and James Fielding Group (now Mirvac).
Between 1993 and 1999, Jonathan was National Leasing Manager for Schroders Australia having direct responsibility for strategic planning and leasing for the retail portfolio covering major shopping centre redevelopments such as Chatswood Chase in Sydney and Karrinyup Shopping Centre in Perth.
- Consulted to Citi Group (Bank) as Mortgagee in possession for Hamilton Island
- Provided Turnaround Strategic Leasing Advice and implementation on Sky Garden Shopping Centre Pitt Street Mall
- Retail component of a New Industrial Park in Auburn.
- South Eveleigh, the blending of old and new to create a contemporary supporting hospitality offer (Aust Tech Park).
- Retail Component of 477 Collins St Melbourne.
- Restaurant Precinct at Riverside Quay Southbank Melbourne.
- Retail component 367 Collins Street Melbourne.
- Restaurant Precinct Broadway Shopping Centre.
- Orion Shopping Centre Development Qld.
- Restaurant Precinct, Development and Static Leasing for Greenwood Plaza North Sydney.
Chris is a highly successful Professional Leasing and Sales Executive with a demonstrated ability to develop new business. Chris is highly experienced in driving change, managing relationships with customers, executive teams, valued clients and stakeholders. Chris holds a Bachelor of Business and is a Licensed Real Estate Agent and Auctioneer.
Between 2011 and 2020 Chris was with Mirvac Australia as a Leasing Executive
Between 2006 and 2011 Chris was with Westfield as a Leasing Executive
Between 2002 and 2004 Chris was a Sales Executive with Hooker Pymble
- Achieved pre leasing and zero vacancy targets;
- Developed leasing reporting systems
- Broadway remixing with the addition of Apple and JB Hi Fi and food catering.
- Rhodes – Remixed the food court and added the Rider Blvd street side casual dining precinct which has been a tremendous success.
- Successful remix and reconfiguration at Rhodes of 10,000 m2 of commercial office space above the centre.
- Rhodes remix of fresh food with the addition of Aldi, Tong Li, and Vitaland
Leasing Manager for Rhodes Waterside, South Village Kirrawee, St.Marys Village (Preparation prior to sale), Harbourside, Darling Harbour, Cherrybrook Village, Stanhope Gardens, St. Marys Village, Hinkler Central (Bundaberg), City Centre Plaza (Rockhampton), Tramsheds development, Broadway Sydney, Rhodes Waterside, Greenwood Plaza.
- Regularly received recognition for exceeding quarterly targets for pre leasing and zero vacancy;
- Exceeded budgets every year resulting in full bonus payments; and
- Closed over 400 deals.
Leasing manager for Tuggerah, Liverpool, Woden, Belconnen, Hurstville, (Hornsby, Chatswood)
Chris has dealt with many distressed tenants over the years and represented both the Landlord and the Tenant in discussions and negotiations in an insolvency context. Specifically, he has:
- Represented large landlords in identifying struggling and underperforming tenants and worked through tenant rental payment plans, business reorganisations, space rearrangement and exits;
- Worked with a many administrators and liquidators, particularly in the fashion and food & beverage sectors, to negotiate new leases and terms to assist with the sales of businesses or tenant exit.
- Represented Landlords and Tenants in terminating leases, entering premises, taking possession of assets and fitouts with the objective of re-leasing and re-opening sites as quickly as possible to minimise rental loss for all parties.
Restructuring Law can be a complex area and circumstances vary, so we recommend a telephone call for your initial consultation. We will then gladly meet you or just confirm our advice and quote in writing.